Friday 21 September 2012

Table Plan with a Twist?

This week I thought I'd share with you our bespoke wedding table plan, designed by yours truly. (If you can't see the images clearly, then double click to see them at full size.)


I wanted our table plan to be different – a point of interest with which our guests could engage, instead of rushing straight past in search of much-needed refreshments. I wanted the table plan to tell our love story – the tale of how hubby and I came to be, despite the enormous odds.


I was inspired by funky infographic stationery I'd spied on my favourite wedding website. (If you're looking for alternative wedding ideas this website is definitely for you!) I fell in love with the modern diagrammatic approach to stationery design, and began to think about how it could be applied to our table plan, while still fitting in with our vintage theme. Matthew (yep, here's a link if you're wondering what my husband looks like) is an author and playwright, and I used to teach primary English, so I came up with a concept that suited us both: a table plan, structured like a diagram, that explains how to write a love story.


I positioned the story plot diagram at the bottom of the table plan, with an introduction (our first date); a build-up (our blossoming love affair); a dilemma (our tricky long-distance spell); a resolution (our eventual reunion) and, finally, a happy ending (our wedding day). At the top of the plan, I organised our guests into book chapters (tables) representing the fact that they'd all played a part in our love story. And finally, on the right, I added character profiles for the personality-clashing protagonists (Mat and I), just for humorous effect!


I designed the whole table plan in Word and added clip-art illustrations to jazz things up a bit. Once I was happy with the design, I got it printed professionally on cream A1-sized foam-backed card, which cost around £40. I was very pleased with the end result, and our guests seemed to like it too! I think it offered them the chance to gain a few amusing insights into our relationship, as well as giving them something interesting to do during the drinks reception.


Designing and making your own table plan is so much cheaper than getting someone to do it for you and, if you have the time, it's a lovely way of expressing yourself at your wedding. Make sure you don't print your DIY masterpiece too far in advance of your wedding though, as there's likely to be one or two guests who'll make their excuses at the very last minute.

2 comments:

  1. Great work Fabia! We have mentioned your blog here. Enjoy married life.

    http://organicspitroast.co.uk/201 4/03/28/planning-your-wedding-stationary/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog !! Enjoyed married life .Good work fabia.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete