Thursday 4 October 2012

Calling Out from Newly-Wed Area 51!

A weird thing happened about two weeks after we got married...people started to ignore us, even our closest family and friends, and it's still the case now, even though it's four months on!

I'm pretty sure they all enjoyed sharing in our special day – they seemed to laugh, cry, eat, drink and dance at the right times, but I've come to realise it was only on this precise day that they wanted to partake. After that, we were on our own!

It's as if they've decided being newly-wed means hubby and I no longer want visitors, phone calls or texts. It's like they think we'd think they were intruding, trying to burst our beautiful wedded bubble. They've moved swiftly on to the next husband-and-wife-to-be combo, posting hubby and I to some strange sort of Area 51 for newly-weds.

I've observed that this awkward Billy-No-Mates period happens to lots of new married couples. It seems to be the natural order, and we just have to accept our weddings are never going to be as interesting to our guests, once the literal honeymoon is over.

But the frustration is newly-weds do want to see people, and it's a real shame our wedding memories have to be curtailed in order to avoid glazing over of eyes. Hubby and I are still really buzzing from our wedding day; we've probably viewed our video highlights at least 20 times already!

So I was wondering, what's wrong with reminiscing about the biggest day of your life from time to time? It's something we need to do, in a way, to get used to the idea of being married.

Therefore, I'll continue to share my wedding stories, ideas and tips with the only people who'll now care to listen: you my fellow newly-weds and would-be brides and grooms. And I'd love to hear your wedding news too – you don't have to be alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment